Year 6 Transition
How we support the transition to secondary school
We provide a smooth and effective transition from primary school so that students make a happy and confident start to their time at Sarah Bonnell school. A key aspect of this transition is setting high standards for behaviour, progress and attainment, through the use of the Sarah Bonnell Way which sets out the expectations of every Sarah Bonnell student. In addition, we:
- Offer staff and students in partner primaries a range of opportunities to visit our school;
- Ensure the swift, efficient transfer of data and information from primary schools and its dissemination to all our staff before the start of the new academic year;
- Ensure that data is used by staff to plan lessons that challenge and support every student; to set targets and monitor progress;
- Ensure that parents have named contacts and that they are are registered with the Go4Schools App so that they can monitor their child’s progress, attendance and behaviour and attitudes at school;
- Listen to student and parent voice through our structured Student Leadership programmes.
We start this process early, with a Welcome Evening for parents and carers and a number of planned visit and transition days in the Summer term prior to the September start. Details of the dates and times of these events will be provided nearer the time on our school website.
Please visit us on our Open Evening on 9 October 2023 (16.30 – 19.00) to experience all the wonderful aspects of school life that our successful girls school has to offer. Our Year 6 open day introductory video also provides a taste of what to expect at our school.
‘This school is an amazing school because you will get so many opportunities to be confident and get your voice heard. Sarah Bonnell is a school where you can learn, make many friends and feel safe’ (Year 7 Student)
‘Pupils have very positive attitudes to their learning…Behaviour in lessons and around the school is excellent and pupils are safe’ (Ofsted 2022)